Custody and Visitation

Fredericksburg Child Custody Attorney


If you are a parent, the care and custody of your child are likely among your very biggest concerns when going through the family law legal process. If you are going through a divorce or if you are an unmarried parent with a custody or visitation problem, you may have numerous questions about how to resolve your situation.

If you need legal advice and representation about child custody and visitation matters, we can help you address these vital issues and work toward acquiring a solution that will help serve the best interest of your children. 

Contact us by calling (540) 835-5013 to speak to an experienced child custody and visitation attorney in Fredericksburg.

How to Determine Custody and Visitation 

When parents cannot agree on who will have custody or visitation regarding their children, the Court determines these matters. The Law Office of Thomas B. Dance, P.C., works with Virginia parents, and out-of-state parents with children in Virginia, who are working to gain or preserve the custody and visitation of their children. 

Specifically, we can help you by:

  • Preparing and filing initial petitions with a Court for legal and physical custody of your child
  • Moving the Court to modify or amend an existing custody or visitation order
  • Enforcing, through the Courts, custody and visitation orders that are not being honored
  • Creating plans for holiday, summer, and school year visitation
  • Litigating grandparent visitation rights

How Do I File for Primary Custody?

In the state of Virginia, a parent may file a petition requesting visitation or custody of their child. This petition should be filed in the Court Services Unit but will ultimately be decided by the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court. 

Because filing for custody can be a complicated process to the average parent and require an additional advocate beyond paperwork, it may be best to work with a Fredericksburg child custody and visitation attorney for professional legal support in your custody case. 

Contact Our Firm Today 

The Law Office of Thomas B. Dance, P.C. can get your questions answered. We can help you with divorce, custody order modifications, visitation, and other important matters that involve you and your children.

Request your initial consultation by calling us at (540) 835-5013 or filling out our online form

  • “His advice is spot on. What he will save you in emotional stress, monetary loss, and your overall sanity, in the long run, is worth every penny upfront.” - Charles A.
  • “He is responsive, extremely knowledgeable about family law, and his advice and guidance is exactly what I needed.” - Revolutions Images & Media
  • “Thomas Dance and his staff are very experienced, knowledgeable and very kindhearted.” - Dylan B.

Contact Our Firm

Choose The Law Office of Thomas B. Dance, P.C.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.